Close Menu
  • Business
  • Education
    • Science
  • HBCU
  • Music
  • Politics
  • Tech
Featured Stories

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

August 21, 2026

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

August 21, 2026

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

August 21, 2026
Load More
What's Hot

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

August 21, 2026

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

August 21, 2026

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team
  • Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up
  • Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year
  • James Harden returns to Cleveland and what his new deal says about the Cavs
  • Jeanie Buss and the path to 15 percent that just got even harder to find
  • Bazemore says athletes should wait to marry and here’s why
  • Walmart beats big but its stock tumbles 9%: what the numbers hide
  • Chipotle’s ‘free’ meal giveaway ends today: here’s the real catch
  • Culture
  • Money
  • World
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Black TimesBlack Times
Subscribe
Friday, August 21
  • Business
  • Education
    • Science
  • HBCU
  • Music
  • Politics
  • Tech
Black TimesBlack Times
Home»Sports

Emeka Egbuka clears his name after a strange week on social media

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie wide receiver confirmed on Instagram that a viral X account bearing his name was not his, and says he quit Twitter back in high school.
Destiny PhilipsBy Destiny PhilipsMarch 15, 2026 Sports No Comments4 Mins Read
Photo:/ Wikipedia
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Emeka Egbuka broke his silence Friday afternoon, and his message was short and unambiguous. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver posted a statement to his Instagram account confirming that an X profile bearing his name was not affiliated with him in any way. He said he stopped using Twitter during his high school years and has not maintained an account on the platform since. The post he was distancing himself from had already spread widely across social media before the account was taken down.

The statement aligned with what the Buccaneers organization had already told the public earlier in the week. The team said Egbuka was not behind the account, but that denial did not immediately settle the matter for everyone who had been following the story.

What the account posted and why it spread

The account in question published a post questioning whether chronic traumatic encephalopathy, commonly known as CTE, is a real condition. Given the NFL’s complicated and well-documented history with brain injury research, the post landed with immediate force. A verified-seeming account tied to a current NFL player making that kind of statement was the sort of thing that spreads quickly, and it did.

The controversy was compounded by the fact that the Buccaneers had tagged the account on multiple occasions throughout Egbuka’s rookie season, which gave many observers a reasonable basis for assuming it was legitimate. That institutional association made the team’s subsequent denial harder for some people to accept at face value. If the franchise had been engaging with the account for months, the idea that it was not actually their player’s account seemed implausible to some.

Egbuka wasn’t the only one fooled into trusting it

The account had accumulated a following that included several prominent and credible names. The NFL Players Association followed it. So did NFL Films. Numerous members of the sports media were also among its followers. That list added another layer to the confusion. Organizations and journalists who deal with NFL players regularly had apparently accepted the account as authentic, which reinforced public perception that it was the real thing.

Looking back at the account’s history before it was pulled, a pattern emerged that pointed toward something unusual. The profile had been largely inactive for years, with minimal original content and very little engagement. In 2026, it had posted only three times, and all three posts appeared after March 9. That timeline raised the reasonable possibility that someone had taken control of the account recently and began posting as Egbuka without his knowledge.

Egbuka’s Instagram statement puts the question to rest

By posting directly on his verified Instagram account, Egbuka gave his denial the kind of platform that could not easily be dismissed. He was not speaking through a team spokesperson or a publicist. He addressed his own followers directly and stated plainly that the X account was not him.

For a player in his first NFL season, the week that preceded that statement was the kind of unwanted attention no rookie needs. Egbuka was drafted by Tampa Bay in the first round of the 2025 NFL Draft out of Ohio State, where he established himself as one of the more reliable wide receivers in college football. His transition to the professional game had been the focus before this week. Now he had to spend a Friday afternoon clarifying his social media history to a national audience.

The account has since been removed from X. The origin of the CTE post and who was actually operating the account remain unclear. No explanation has been offered publicly for how the Buccaneers came to tag it during the season, and the team has not elaborated beyond its initial statement. Egbuka, for his part, appears ready to move on.

CTE Emeka Egbuka identity NFL NFL Players Association rookie Social Media Tampa Bay Buccaneers Twitter X account
Destiny Philips

Keep Reading

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

James Harden returns to Cleveland and what his new deal says about the Cavs

Jeanie Buss and the path to 15 percent that just got even harder to find

Peyton Watson trade and what the Cavaliers gave up to get him

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Our Picks
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
Don't Miss

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

Sports August 21, 2026

The Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints have each been fined $500,000 by the NFL…

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

August 21, 2026

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

August 21, 2026

James Harden returns to Cleveland and what his new deal says about the Cavs

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Editors Picks
Latest Posts

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Money
  • Sports
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz