Close Menu
  • Business
  • Education
    • Science
  • HBCU
  • Music
  • Politics
  • Tech
Featured Stories

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

August 21, 2026

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

August 21, 2026

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

August 21, 2026
Load More
What's Hot

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

August 21, 2026

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

August 21, 2026

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team
  • Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up
  • Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year
  • James Harden returns to Cleveland and what his new deal says about the Cavs
  • Jeanie Buss and the path to 15 percent that just got even harder to find
  • Bazemore says athletes should wait to marry and here’s why
  • Walmart beats big but its stock tumbles 9%: what the numbers hide
  • Chipotle’s ‘free’ meal giveaway ends today: here’s the real catch
  • Culture
  • Money
  • World
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Black TimesBlack Times
Subscribe
Friday, August 21
  • Business
  • Education
    • Science
  • HBCU
  • Music
  • Politics
  • Tech
Black TimesBlack Times
Home»Sports

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

Shekari PhilemonBy Shekari PhilemonAugust 21, 2026 Sports No Comments4 Mins Read
Sinner
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Jannik Sinner will miss the US Open due to a right knee injury, the world No. 1 announced Friday on social media, ending the Italian’s bid to defend the title he won at Flushing Meadows in 2024.

He said in an Instagram post that he and his team had made the difficult decision after returning to the court in Monte Carlo over the previous few days and realizing he still needs more time to recover. He said he is very sad and disappointed, noting that New York has a special place in his heart and that he was looking forward to playing in front of the fans there.

The withdrawal means he has not played a competitive match since defeating Alexander Zverev last month to successfully defend his Wimbledon title. He had already missed the Masters 1000 events in Canada and Cincinnati. This will be the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam since his US Open debut in 2019.

The state of the men’s draw

Sinner’s absence opens the top of the men’s draw significantly. Zverev, who was beaten by Tommy Paul in the Cincinnati quarterfinals this week, will be the top seed at the US Open. His world No. 1 ranking is not under immediate threat, as he holds more than 5,000 points of separation over his nearest rival.

The timing creates an unusual dynamic at the top of the men’s game. Carlos Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in last year’s US Open final, announced Thursday that he will make his comeback from a four-month absence caused by a wrist injury that caused him to miss both the French Open and Wimbledon. Alcaraz will enter New York as the defending champion but without match play since before the clay court season.

That means the two men who have dominated men’s Grand Slam tennis over the past two years will both enter the US Open as something other than their usual selves. Alcaraz is returning from a lengthy absence, and Sinner will not be there at all.

He was the sixth player to withdraw from the men’s singles draw since the entry list was announced, and six women have also pulled out.

What Sinner’s year looks like

Sinner successfully defended his Wimbledon title last month, which gave him a second consecutive Wimbledon championship and added to the US Open title he won in 2024. The knee injury that kept him from competing in Canada and Cincinnati and now forces him out of the US Open is the most significant health setback of his career to date.

His world ranking remains intact because the points gap to his nearest competitor is large enough that missing the US Open does not put the No. 1 position at risk, regardless of who wins in New York.

What it means for the US Open

The absence of the world No. 1 and defending champion at any Grand Slam fundamentally changes the event. The men’s draw, which begins its main draw Aug. 30, will run without the player who has been the dominant force in men’s tennis for the past year.

Zverev, who won the French Open this year before losing to Sinner at Wimbledon, is the top seed but has been inconsistent on hard courts. The field below him includes Alcaraz, who brings uncertainty about his match fitness, and a group of players who have seen the door open for a first or second Grand Slam title.

For Sinner, the US Open is a loss of both the title defense and the 2,000 ranking points he earned in 2024. The knee recovery timeline will determine whether he can return before the year ends.

Alexander Zverev carlos alcaraz Flushing Meadows Grand Slam withdrawal jannik sinner knee injury men's tennis tennis US Open Wimbledon
Shekari Philemon

Keep Reading

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

James Harden returns to Cleveland and what his new deal says about the Cavs

Jeanie Buss and the path to 15 percent that just got even harder to find

Peyton Watson trade and what the Cavaliers gave up to get him

Victor Wembanyama and why France gave him the captaincy at 22

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Login
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Our Picks
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
Don't Miss

Cowboys Saints joint practice fight draws a $500K fine for each team

Sports August 21, 2026

The Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints have each been fined $500,000 by the NFL…

Elena Rybakina and the night both top seeds fell and the draw opened up

August 21, 2026

Jannik Sinner and the US Open he will not be defending this year

August 21, 2026

James Harden returns to Cleveland and what his new deal says about the Cavs

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Editors Picks
Latest Posts

Subscribe to News

Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • Culture
  • Money
  • Sports
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

wpDiscuz